Ups and Downs


Ups and downs. Everyone goes through them, right? 

I can experience major mood swings in a single day.

My day can start marvellously with so much energy and I can feel ready to conquer the world. And then, oops, one bad thing happens and it all goes downhill from there.


Take, for instance, a few days ago, when I was helping my friend move out. I was all pepped out in the morning. I did some reading, I caught up on some school work and I actually ate breakfast!



Helping one of my best friends move out was awesome! It was some great exercise and just pleasant in general. I'm so happy what's to come for her in this new life decision. Oh, and the apartment is gorgeous!

The thing is, I was supposed to meet up with my boyfriend afterwards and it didn't happen. We had discussed previously that it was a possibility we couldn't meet. However, I was really set up on seeing him. I called him when everything was over and he said he had made plans to watch the hockey game with a friend. Great... I exploded, became furious and blamed him for choosing hockey over me.


I cried in the metro the second time that week. It is, honestly, awkward and an embarrassing thing to do. On another tangent, why should it be? Why do I need to feel pressure to be composed all the time?

Back to my story.

You can imagine, after that, that I had no intention of seeing him the next day. So, I called and cancelled, stating he had hurt me by "neglecting" me.

I came home and cried for an hour.

Can you see how disparate my mood was between the morning and the evening of that same day?

---------------------------------

I've come across a few tips to regulate my mood swings. I think they are applicable to anyone, bipolar or not.


- Keep a journal of your moods.
- Notice what time of day you feel more energized or down.
- Write down your triggers. What made you happy? angry? sad?
- Write down how many hours you slept the night before? It can give you a good idea if you might have been more vulnerable due to lack of sleep.


- When you start to feel overwhelmed, stop what you're doing. Do something you like instead, even if it is just for a few minutes.
- When you're in a disagreement, stop talking to that person. Tell them: "It would be better to discuss at a later time because I don't want to say things I'll regret."


- Have a good cry. It's okay.
- Scream in your pillow. Trust me, it works and everyone does it.

and.

Breathe.

2 comments

  1. I immensely respect you and your content, your vulnerability is inspiring <3 Keep up the great work. Your platform is very important.

    ReplyDelete