Routines and Plans


During my teenage years, I attended a Day Hospital. At the Day Hospital, I did schoolwork, did sports and attended therapy groups. One of the therapy groups given revolved around cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT).

We learned something that has helped me ever since.
Routine.

Sticking to a routine really helps me. It helps me organize my day. It helps me get rid of anxiety because I know approximately what is happening next.

I feel secure adhering to a routine.




My relationships are better. My grades are better. I feel better.

However, not everyone understands my necessity of a routine. To be honest, I have some loved ones that get annoyed when I try to plan things in advance.

If there is a big disturbance to my routine, I panic. 

When someone is not reliable and tells me I’ll call you at, for example 4 PM, and doesn’t answer until 5:30 PM, I freak out! 

So many things go through my mind! Did I do something? Did he/she forget about me? Are the plans cancelled? Will I be alone tonight?

It doesn’t stop.

Here's a little anecdote.

When I go out with my boyfriend our routine is:
1. Call the day before we meet up to schedule a calling time the day of.
2. Call at the specific time the day of.
3. Plan pick-up time.
4. Decide where we go.

But one weekend, I called my boyfriend planning to meet the next day as per our routine. We discussed he would call at 4PM (like in my example) to arrange a pick up. I prepared everything I wanted to do beforehand.

However, I really really wanted to go out of the house in the morning but thought I couldn't. I believed that I might miss his call and not be able to see him at all. I thought, this is not what was planned. I can't do it. Too bad for me.

I tried calling my boyfriend earlier but no answer. I was on standby.

And I was panicking.

I was getting more and more upset because I couldn't control the situation. I was upset with myself.

I thought: "Why didn't I make sure of my plans?" and "Why did I feel the need to change our routine?"

He eventually answered earlier and was real nice to me considering the 12 calls I had left him.

Things did not go according to plan. We didn't stick to our routine. But we had a nice date.



It comes to show that I need to learn to let go. I need to learn that days don’t have to be organized minute by minute. 

Which leads to reflect what should stay in my routine and what do I need to let go of?

Still working on that one...

No comments