Vulnerability



So many of us are vulnerable. Even if society tells us that it’s important to be strong and feel empowered, being vulnerable is okay.

It’s okay not to have control over your emotions. Not to have control over events. It’s okay not to always feel composed.

I believe in embracing my emotions, even the ugly ones.

At the moment, I’m scared of getting my hours cut next summer. I’m scared of getting replaced.




There’s an intern that arrived at my job and the staff and the director love her. I was an intern too and got hired afterwards. The same situation might apply to her.

The difference between her and I is that I’ll only get my diploma in May while she will get hers in December and thus have a more permanent position. It’s as if I were late in the race. Because of this, there is a high possibility of me getting part time hours instead of the full time job I enjoy at the moment.

All this will possibly happen next summer. I know it’s terribly far away, but I’m afraid of losing something I love. It also might not happen. The final decision comes to the director and I know she will decide what is most fair and appropriate for the workplace.



I see this girl everyday and it comes up in our conversations that she wants to follow in my footsteps and get a job at my workplace. I can’t take it as a compliment somehow. I take it as her overstepping. 

This is why I feel vulnerable. I don’t feel as competent as her all of a sudden. I feel like I’m working so hard just to be stepped on. I’m harsh with myself. 



I’m vulnerable.

And, like I said. That’s okay. It’s more than fine to feel inadequate.

Accepting my vulnerability is helping me heal from feeling unwanted.
I try to talk to myself and understand my emotions.

I say to myself: “I feel vulnerable because I feel like my efforts don’t mean anything anymore.”

I try to rationalize my thoughts as much as I can.




But most of all I repeat that same cliché, we hear over and over again.

“It’s okay, not to be okay.”

I don’t need to feel empowered at the moment. To show that I am above all this and that I am strong. That would be lying to myself. 

I am vulnerable, and that’s that. 



No comments